- Very few tweets – more evidence the attendee age is older
- Definitely prefer hearing from a practitioner and not professional consultant – I must have a consultant bias! Inauthenticity comes across not being in the trenches like the rest of us
- Every conference should have a workshop that involves a baseball game (Pirates beat Cardinals 2-1 last night)
- Weird to hear a message admonishing us to go to the poor & hear the price scanner with the folks buying books at the same time
Missional Church for Transformation, Reggie McNeal
- Non-affiliated is the fastest growing faith in the US
- Only 1 in 4 young adults connect with church & we have the best buildings ever
- The church has become an 8-track factory: committed to a model that is out of date
- We have fallen into missional amnesia; we have Alzheimer’s
- Missional church is a redundant term; it is what the church should be
- A 1st century follower of Jesus would not understand the phrase “go to church”
- God is refurbishing everything that sin touched
- You will go missional at the point your heart breaks; what breaks your heart?
- What the world needs now is not more church people; the world needs followers of Jesus
- Normally people leave when a church goes multi-site and that is okay
- Keep a unified front as pastor and campus pastors
The Gathering UMC, St. Louis
- What new visitors think: who can I be friends with in this room?
- Does it feel like the best days are behind your church?
- There is something about conferences that can make you doubt what the Spirit is doing in you
Christ UMC, Fairview Heights
- Many churches are the ecclesiastical amish, refusing any kind of change
- Half of all American UMCs this year will not baptize one person
- Members should be your most deeply committed people
Many people seemed disturbed, in a good way, by Reggie’s message but I didn’t find any of it new information. I’ve been working with young adults for 6 years on the front lines of these realities and done quite a bit of work and reading in the missional area. Not to mention that Methodists have built into our DNA to work with people’s souls and physical needs together for 300 years. We should be the experts at this; the 21st century should be the century of United Methodists, if we can get our act together. Ultimately, I’ve been blessed to have people over the years model a missional church and lifestyle to me, even before we had the word “missional.”
I’ve got to hold ‘er steady / Keep my head in the game / Everything is about to change / Everything is about to change (Move by MercyMe)
Jesus said “God’s Spirit is on me; he’s chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to set the burdened and battered free, to announce, “This is God’s year to act!”” (Luke 4:18-19).